Unfortunately we need to get first the code ready to support translations.
I just started in the very beginning with the properties file but that covers just 10% or less of all used strings. If anyone wants to work on that, would be great!
It requires to replace all strings used in the java code by the resource ID:
e.g.: BSResources.get("createOffer.fundsBox.totalsNeeded.prompt")) - in CreateOfferView.java
There are duplicated strings as well so it needs a good naming scheme to not lose overview what is used in which areas.
Another important issue is that the translated strings are breaking the layout (if they are longer). French for instance is typically 30% longer than english which leads often to layout issues. It would be good to have a collection of screenshots where the translator can see the usage, and once we get the translations we should check if it does not break layout or is truncated.
Once all display strings are supported then we should check out which tool is best suited for non programmers to help us with translation.
Transiflex is widely used, but I have not looked closer into it. We just need to support our properties file and use UTF8 to support all special characters (if your text editor is not set correctly then the special chars get screwed up).
I would prefer only real, native translation. When I use an app and it is translated by machines to german it looks very cheap to me and gives me a bad impresssion. I prefer to have then english.
We got in Github and the wiki (and I have a few by email as well) quite a lot of offers of people who want to help us for translation. So we could check out with them once we are prepared.
UPDATED a bit from the first version....